Friday 28 September 2012

9-11/1/1999 Reports


Desk of the General Manager
11/1/1999

Pudding Earl,

The general stores that were under construction have been completed. I went to the liberty of cleaning Skyranger-1 of it's unneeded weapons, and loading on some additional grenades. I heard a grenade actually got used for once, and with the new stores I went to the liberty of ordering a bunch of replacements. Sounds like you're going to need them. I also went ahead and purchased some electro flares. I've overheard the recruits complaining about night missions. This should help morale at least.

Base Management

Department of Psychology
9/1/1999

The Pudding Earl,

Further talk among the operatives has been captured on tape. Once again I believe this to

be relevant to your interests. This interaction was recorded in the Hangar near Skyranger-1.

Hafner: Man, I can't believe Ed died.
Revenu: I know what you mean, of all the people had to be him.
Stoddard: Can't help but feel like it's irony. Surprising irony mind you.
H: Surprising irony? You didn't think he'd die?
S: Not to that. Thought the new guys would go down for sure.
Crossett: You've got a new guy standing right here y'know.
S: Sure do, and I'm amazed by it rookie.
C: We're the same rank Sergeant.
S: Sure are. But when you top the kill chart, then maybe I'll stop calling you rookie.
R: Ignore her sergeant. She's a bitch through and through.
C: Yes captain.
R: Good. We're getting side-tracked anyway.
S: How so, Captain?
R: I was pretty sure we were remembering Ed.
H: Sure were. Great guy Ed. He was so...caring.
R: Sure was. I'm gonna miss him.
S: Same.
H: Wait. You seriously have feelings?
S: Fuck you Hafner.
(laughter from Hafner and Revenu)
C: How can you laugh when one of your friends die?
S: We saw four men die on the first mission. There were eight of us out there. Odds were good seven
us would die on that last mission. But we only lost one. It's a shame Ed died, but fact is it could
have been worse, and we're not dead. That's reason enough to laugh to me.
C: So what, better him than us, is what you're saying.
S: That's exactly what I'm saying.
C: Seems kind of cold don't you think? Sure you're cut out for leadership there sergeant?
S: I sure as fuck ain't. But I'm cut out for kicking alien ass. How about you?
R: Can it. Both of you. You're both taking this the wrong way.
C: What the fuck captain? How is caring about people dying taking it the wrong way?
R: It's not. But people are gonna die. That's inevitable. Mourn the dead but be glad it wasn't you.
C: That's bullshit captain.
R: That's how it is. Have you met the founder yet?
C: Can't say I have.
R: Well, when you meet him, you'll understand. He looks at us the same way he looks at everything
else here. As a resource.
(Crossett storms out of the room)
S: Good going captain.
R: Shut up Stoddard.
(Stoddard laughs. Hafner and Revenu join in.)
H: Not even two weeks and we're jaded fuckers.
S: Speak for yourself. I was a jaded fucker when I walked in.
(The group laughs and starts to leave)

In light of this fight between the commanding officers, I would recommend a leadership training

course for the future.

Head of Psychology,

[REDACTED]

No comments:

Post a Comment